- Title: Jesse L. Nusbaum Collection
- Dates: 1906 - 1939
- Collection Number: PAC 017
- Size: 13 linear feet
- Repository: Palace of the Governors Photo Archives
- Link: Click here to view the Complete Record for this Item.
- Languages: English
- Scope and Content: Materials included original 5 x 7 glass plate negatives, 5 x 7 vintage prints, and nitrate film negatives of various sizes. Many of the vintage 5 x 7 contact prints have notes on the back written in pencil by Jesse Nusbaum and notes in ball point pen by his wife, Rosemary Nusbaum. There are also other notes in unidentified handwriting in both pen and pencil on the back of the photographs. Some 5 x 7 vintage photos have a small stamp on bottom edge: MEJ Colter or H. H. Dorman Collection, various other collections listed include: Bradfield, C. Buell Collection, Neil Judd, and R.E. Twitchell. Additionally, there is a stamp is on the back of some of the earliest photos: “Photo by Jess Nusbaum, Greeley, Colo.” Subjects include: views from Greeley Colorado, Las Vegas, Lamy, Taos, and Santa Fe, NM; archaeological views of Puyi, Pecos Ruins (now Pecos National Monument), El Rito de los Frijoles (now Bandelier National Monument), Mesa Verde, McElmo Canyon, Hovenweep, Chichén Itzá, Tulum, Cozumel, Uxmal, Merida, Campeche, Antiqua and Guatemala City in Guatemala, and Copan in Honduras; views of the 1915 San Diego Exposition; the Palace of the Governors before and after the 1909-1913 renovation; and the New Mexico Pueblos: Pojoaque, San Ildefonso, Santa Clara, Jemez, Isleta, Zuni, Tesuque, Taos, Santa Ana, Picuris, and San Juan. Also included are vintage prints of furniture, lamps fabricated copper implements, and armaments that he and his students designed and built while he was teaching at New Mexico State Normal School. The following HP numbers are included in the Nusbaum collection: HP.1974.28 Donation of photographic materials by Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Nusbaum HP.1975.53 Donation of photographic materials by Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Nusbaum HP.1976.23 Donation of photographic materials by Mrs. Jesse Nusbaum, executor of the estate of Jesse L. Nusbaum HP.1978.20 Neg. # 60447 – one framed photo HP.1983.07 Listed on the back of several photos but nothing in the acquisition paperwork mentions Nusbaum. HP.1986.35 Photographic material transferred from the Lab of Anthropology HP.1990.34 Written on back of a few photos, but there is no HP 90.34 in the HP Source Guide or in the acquisitions records HP.1994.05 Photographic material transferred from the Lab of Anthropology Glass Lantern Slides – no photos by Nusbaum, he collected lantern slides by other photographers. No HP number.
- Access Terms
- Archaeology -- Central America
- Archaeology -- Southwest, New
- Historic Buildings -- New Mexico
- Museums -- New Mexico
- New Mexico -- History
New forum topics
Your Opinion Counts
This Month in New Mexico History
|June 4, 1696 - Many Pueblo Indians stage a second revolt, requiring Gov. Don Diego de Vargas, Spanish soldiers and a contingent of Pecos Pueblo warriors six months to control.|
There are currently 0 users online.