- Title: George Boyce Jr. and Robert Boyce Interview
- Creator: Boyce, George Jr.; Boyce Robert
- Subject: Boyce, George A. Sr.; Boyce,George Jr.; Boyce Robert; Institute of American Indian Arts; Indian arts -- United States.; Indians of North America -- Education.;
- Description: An Oral History interveiw with George Boyce Jr. and Robert Boyce by Mary Dleary, August 22 and October 28, 2008. The two brothers are the sons of the first superintendent of IAIA, Dr. George A. Boyce. The bulk of the interview provides details regarding thier fathers career in the Bureau of Indian Affairs; Navajo and Hopi Schoosl Superintendent, Superintendent of Intermountain Indian School, and the first superintendent of IAIA until his retirement in 1967. Information regarding the difficulties of starting IAIA in 1962, Boyces philosophies in education and Indian determination, and his career with IAIA is the most helpful part of the interview. Also discussed is Robert and George Boyce Jrs childhood expeiences on the Navajo reseration and family life, as well as thier fathers involvment in the Navajo Code Talkers project and the Navajo Arts and Crafts Guild in Window Rock, AZ.
- Date: August 22, 2008; October 28, 2008
- Collection: Institute of American Indian Arts
- Link: Click here to view the complete record for this item